Cyclura

Talking about Iguanas
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ctenosaura defensor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm 

Hello,
I am seriously thinking about keeping Ctenosaura defensor in the near future. Right now I am plannning the enclosure and thinking about the next steps and hope I will get some advice here, thanks everyone in advance for that.
Here are some questions which came up to my mind so far:
Most likely I will get unsexed captive bred juveniles and the size of the enclosure will be 150x60x60 cm. I know meanwhile that they can be kept in smaller enclosures, but I have this space available and I want to try to add some plants which should have better chances to survive in a larger terrarium. I would also have the option to divide the terrarium if there are problems between the individuals coming up.
I hope the juveniles will not get lost in the terrarium - but I think they should be able to manage the situation - if not please let me know.
So far I am completly uncertain of the amount of juveniles I should start with. I would like to keep a pair of adults in the end, so maybe three would be a good start to have good chances for a couple - I know more would be better but here comes the money...And as well it will be hard to raise them up for at least one year to give them away because maybe more than one turned out as male.. Ok, maybe until then there is space for an additional terrarium ;)
I am thinking of an artifical rock formation made of styrodur covered wih tile-plaster and adding corc tubes as additional hides. To decide if I need to protect the surface against water I would like to get a feeling of how much water will be misted during the more humid summertime (Köhler recommands daily misting from april to september ) - should the substrate become damp or is it sufficient to sprinkle just the surface - I doubt I can reach the recommanded airhumidity of 50-60% without damping the substrate at least partially. So far I have only experience with reptiles kept in less or more humid ranges.

Regards, Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:44 am 

Hi again,
since it is too late to edit my previous post I have to add an additional question:
C. defensor is described as a very shy species, so I would like to know how is the behaviour of captive bred animals, do they spend a lot of time in their hides (especially when they are disturbed eg by someone standing in front of the terrarium) or did they loose this natural behaviour already or ist it different from individual to individual? So far I could only find information about wild caughts.
Regards, Andrea

Post subject: Re: Ctenosaura defensor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hello, small defensor babies will get lost in such a big terrarium.
You should keep them in a small cage of 80x50x60 with only a few hiding places.
If you have a lot of hiding places then you will never see them and the babies will always stay shy.
I have some adults, that are feeding insects from the tweezer.
A friend has some captive bred animals in a cage in his livingroom and the animals are totally relaxed.
He rised them, without any hidingplaces. Only a few Basking Rocks where they can sit and bask under the spot.
as soon as you offer hidingplaces, they will get shy again.
The babies are very easy to rise, like Uromastyx or other ctenosaura iguanas.
When you mist them twice a day, the humidity will go up to 60-80%.
It is not necessary to have a humid substrate.
regards
Jürgen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm 

Thank you Jürgen for this information, this helps a lot - from your description I need to do a complete differrent setup than I was thinking of in the beginning.
Best regards, Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

CB2012, our first (hope not last) defensor baby. Just to keep it alive here :) .
Attachment:
def1.jpg

Attachment:
def2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm 

Nice defensor!! Congrats on the breeding success!!

Ian