Cyclura

Talking about Iguanas
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: fat or gravid?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 pm 

Hey,

my female is now 21 month old and as you can see very fat! I never saw any mating. The only thing I could see was, that the male showed interested in her an start to show the typical mating behaviour. So far she always run away from him. Sometimes she is fat like on the picture sometimes she is a bit less fat. Until now, I never noticed any aktivities like digging a whole for the eggs or something like that and she is fat like this for almost 3 month now. So I really don`t know if she is just fat and I have to put her on a diet or I really have to worry about that she is going to be eggbound (Legenot) soon!!??

Thank`s and regards
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: fat or gravid?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 am 

Hello Chris,

she looks like my female when she is gravid. So i think that your female is gravid.
The time for laying the eggs is near. Keep the ground swet and look at her when she will going down.

regards
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am 

Hey,

that`s what I also thought, but she looks like that for more than 3 month now!! I never noticed a gestation period (Tragezeit) that long! Not by any of my other reptiles!

Thank`s Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 pm 

Hey! Looks definetely like gravid. If she was just fat you would not see the bones at the tail I guess.
But I got the same problem. My female looks like that for two to three months now. Searches the ground, digging a bit. I've not changed anything since the last time she laid her eggs. So I don't know what's the prob this time. I placed an additional box with moist ground but no interest. When is the time to go the doc to x-ray?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 pm 

Finally for my female everything turned out good. Yesterday she laid 4 eggs. But you could see it really costs her a lot of strenght. So, is a longer gestation period normal when the number of eggs laid increases?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 pm 

Hello,
for me she looks also gavid, too!
3 month is very long time but I had a female that was 6 month gravid, she digg more then 2 month before she laid 7 eggs (3 unfertile and 4 fertile).
I think that she produced 2 clutches within that long time, and laid them all together.
rgds
Jürgen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 am 

Hey,

finaly my female laid 3 eggs yesterday! Is it possible to see directly if they are fertile? I have no experience with Fidji Iguana eggs so far!

Regards
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:26 am 

Hello,
yes it is possible, normally you can see a single light red point on the eggshell, with arround 1cm diameter.
The infertile eggs are very soft and with yellowish color.
rgds
Jürgen

see picture below, the egg on the top: